Archives




2011 | |

Attract Interest Standard Chartered

Advertiser: Standard Chartered Bank Malaysia
Brand: Standard Chartered Bank
Creative Agency: TBWA Malaysia
Credits: Ling Lee Lee (Business Director), Doris Chin (Media Planner), Debbie Ong (Senior Media Buyer)

<iframe width=”853″ height=”480″ src=”//www.youtube.com/embed/sDKUL4Hx2X4″ frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen></iframe>

Challenge
With declining interest rates, campaigns advertising bank deposits have exploded in Malaysia. Our challenge was to cut through a highly cluttered environment where banks were running contests to drive deposits

Solutions
Consumers were sick and tired of all the gimmicks used to get their business. They want a bank that gives them good returns; not a bank that offers a chance to win a competition. SCB offered the highest deposit interest rates and we used a channel that was not traditionally used by banks to drive deposits. Our opportunity was to “say it how it is” clearly, openly without hiding behind a competition.

Execution
We deployed “ambient walkers” – people in sandwich boards to clearly, simply and powerfully highlight our competitive offer. We targeted CBD areas close to our branches and more importantly our competitors. Interestingly, this form of communication is rarely used by banks in Malaysia so it attracted a lot of attention.

Result
We generated huge amount of buzz and word of mouth with over 10,000 flyers distributed. Deposits grew by 67% as a result of this campaign

2015 | |

How HTC turned every mobile device into OOH screens

Advertiser: HTC
Brand: HTC One Max
Creative Agency: -
Credits: -

The Challenge
For the new One Max, HTC had a launch budget that is a fraction of Samsung S5 and iPhone 6. HTC market share was only 3% compared to the other 97% who either own a Samsung, Apple, Nokia, LG etc. So with such a low budget, how can HTC reach the 97% of Malaysia’s smartphone owners?

Insight, Strategy and the Idea
By the time a buyer reaches the retail outlet, Samsung’s and Apple’s mighty media budgets would have ensured they remain in the buyers’ shortlists. HTC needed a strategy to reach smartphone buyers before they even arrive at the retail outlets. HTC wanted buyers to be exposed to the One Max, while they are out of home and at point-of-sale, before they are ‘hijacked’ by retailers to consider Samsung or Apple. But to do so, HTC would need at least a few million One Max models. We decided to put the One Max into the consumer’s hands without using a single unit of One Max. The strategy will turn every Android and IOS devices into out- of-home digital screens and POS media HTC would replicate the One Max experience on every smartphone screen with a mobile rich banner which will ‘take over’ the home screen of any smartphone.

Media Execution
To be present in every user’s hands while they are out of home, mobile advertising was crucial as we could target non-HTC devices. The ad unit delivered the actual user experience of HTC One Max on any non-HTC device without requiring any additional application to be downloaded.

Results and Effectiveness
Average CTR : 1.40%, surpassing target by 40%!
Average CTR on iOS devices (primary target audience) : 1.70%, surpassing target by a whopping 70%!
Interaction rate : 1 minute and 18 seconds, surpassing target by a whopping 160%!

2015 | |

Ikea BookBook

Advertiser: Ikano Pte Ltd
Brand: Ikea
Creative Agency: PHD Media (M) Sdn Bhd
Credits: -

The Challenge
Is the Ikea book too low-fi for the high-tech age? Can a book be entertaining to today’s digital generation more accustomed with video browsing than catalogue browsing? Can a book be a technology that is so life- enhancing it should be in the hands of everyone? Why should one bother to pick up a printed copy of the Book, when with a swipe on one’s mobile phone, one can easily access the same content on a digital media? Can IKEA entertain its audience with a printed book full of furniture images?

The Solution – Insight & Idea
At the same time of the IKEA Book launch, the iPhone 6 was just about to launch, so we knew that all the digital natives will be abuzz with conversations around the iPhone 6 and its anticipated technological features. Hence IKEA took to the stage to launch their 2015 Catalogue just as if it was the world’s best gadget, in a complete Apple Spoof, filming a branded video to provide the explanation of how their catalogue was engineered to perfection. In the video, IKEA was said to have created an intuitive, advanced.

The Execution
The branded video hosted was on Youtube and amplified through theTube Mogul network, which introduces Ikea’s 2015 catalogue in a manner that parodies the current obsession with modern technological gadgets such as tables and smartphones, and done in an entertaining style that mimics how Apple often markets its popular consumer products.

The Results
Youtube – 376k viewed at least 1⁄2 the video, with a total of 510k viewing minutes – exceeding the target by 25%. Over 30% watched it through other websites – making the campaign truly viral Site Visits – Increased by 53%, with 70% coming from Earned media! – Products views on website increased by 35% – Conversion increased by 200% – Over 300% more shopping cart conversions.

2015 | |

How HTC Hijacked Android & IOS Screens

Advertiser: HTC
Brand: HTC One Max
Creative Agency: PHD Media (M) Sdn Bhd
Credits: -

The Challenge
For the new One Max, HTC had a launch budget that is a fraction of Samsung S5 and iPhone 6. HTC market share was only 3% compared to the other 97% who either own a Samsung, Apple, Nokia, LG etc. So with such a low budget, how can HTC reach the 97% of Malaysia’s smartphone owners?

The Solution – Insight & Idea
Most smartphone buyers rely heavily on information available on the Internet instead of visiting retail outlets before making a purchase. 53% of users preferred mobile as the media channel for any information on gadgets. By the time a buyer reaches the retail outlet, Samsung’s and Apple’s mighty media budgets would have ensured they remain in the buyers’ shortlists. HTC needed a strategy to reach smartphone buyers before they even arrive at the retail outlets. HTC wanted buyers to test-drive the One Max before they are ‘hijacked’ by retailers to consider Samsung or Apple. But to do so, HTC would need at least a few million One Max models. We decided to put the One Max into the consumer’s hands without using a single unit of One Max. HTC would replicate the One Max experience on every smartphone screen with a mobile rich banner which will ‘take over’ the home screen of any smartphone.

The Execution
To be present in every user’s hands, mobile advertising was crucial as we could target non-HTC devices. The ad unit delivered the actual user experience of HTC One Max on any non-HTC device without requiring any additional application to be downloaded.

The Results
Average CTR : 1.40%, surpassing target by 40%! Average CTR on iOS devices (primary target audience) : 1.70%, surpassing target by a whopping 70%! Interaction rate : 1 minute and 18 seconds, surpassing target by a whopping 160%!

2018 | |

MISSION HIJACK

Advertiser: VOLKSWAGEN MALAYSIA
Brand: VOLKSWAGEN
Creative Agency: -
Credits: -

The Challenges
Automotive is dominated by local and Japanese players. Volkswagen is overshadowed and worse off not within main consideration set amongst auto seekers.

Insight, Strategy and the Idea
To win, we needed to be unconventional in our approach to gain shares since Volkswagen is not within consumers’ consideration. We saw this as a huge opportunity to partner key automotive sites and hijack these ‘research’ moments. Idea: Mission Hijack – partnering Mudah, Carlist and Carbase; we blended the power of data intelligence with innovative creatives to surround our audience throughout their research journey on site. The approach was tailored for strong relevance in messaging and advertising formats in a subtle, organic manner.

Media Execution
In partnership with the 3 publishers, from their data we found the following insights: • Mudah: VW models were not within audience assessments; hence, we needed to intercede with focus on price as it is main factor motivating audiences on Mudah. • Carbase: Usage was focused on researching car features and reviews given Paul Tan’s content availability. The approach was to ensure VW was present during the research stage. • Carlist: Being the first portal car seekers start their research journey, VW focused on brand visibility across the site to drive interest. We used innovative creative formats that were first-in-market; native and seamless in experience on-site. On Carbase, we hijacked the car comparison feature to highlight a VW model relevant to user’s search; VW models were subtly featured on the search bar on Carlist to prompt brand recall; while native ad formats on Mudah featured VW’s latest offers to trigger test drive bookings.

Results and Effectiveness
Interactions on brand were doubled of previous campaigns on the same site! 4X conversion rate on booking test drive vs. industry benchmark and a total of 25% growth in sales during campaign period! Campaign has become the blueprint approach and an always-on strategy in 2018.